Monday, September 14, 2009

Cover of the Week 45

I always loved when our friends in the band Fuzzy pulled out Neil Young's "Losing End" in their sets. What a great old song, and really cool when sung by Hilken Mancini and Chris Toppin -- two women's voices in place of Neil's and Danny Whitten's.

You'll have to forgive my version. It slips a bit out of tune almost from the get-go. But it was late night and I didn't notice until playback. I didn't want to do it over. And I was inspired to keep going after the end to slide into a Neil medley. So settle back. Send the kids off for bed. This is an epic. It's like an album side. Double shot.

When Tom Maginnis was a high school kid, his older brother and his buds would use code for going to smoke pot: "Wanna go listen to some Neil?" It comes in useful to this day. Not that I admit to using illicit drugs, never mind advocate...


The Losing End (When You're On) + mp3

4 comments:

Paul Daddario said...

I like the long format, more open to feeling in the acoustic jam. I was listening from about new haven to bridgeport on I-95. Excellent feel and background vocals. A great tribute to Neil.

Randy Reichardt said...

.: I agree with Paul - the long format definitely had a jam feel to it. I could imagine a number of players sitting in a circle doing this one. What I liked was the crunchy, chunky feel to your chording - very Neil-ish, so to speak. I'll be pulling out the Rainsong to jam with the recording as soon as my index finger recovers from a minor slice with an exacto-knife. :0

Thanks again, Bill.

Nigel said...

I had friends who would go off somewhere to "listen to pink floyd".

You talk like Neil never slipped out of tune...

Neil Jung said...

we still call that shit "phil collins tickets."