Thursday, July 23, 2009

Cover of the Week 38

A friend of Buffalo Tom, Crown Victoria, and a big-hearted music fan, Mark Morris lost his father this past week to congestive heart failure. Richard Morris was 73 years old. One of Richard's favorite songs was Hank Williams' "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." This has been a standard in our own family as well, ever since my mother brought home the Elvis 8-track of Aloha From Hawaii -- Via Satellite, which is the first time I remember ever hearing the song. No one sings it more plaintively than my brother, Paul. It has become one of his signatures (which can actually get a little depressing for Christmas, but what are you gonna do?) So on this request for Mark, I asked Paul to join me in a duet. He sings lead on the second and fourth verses, the harmony on the ones I sing. Paul also plays the guitar solo.

Paul came over, sang, played, saw his sister in-law, niece and nephew, had some baked ziti and hit the road. It was a nice midweek visit.

If you are getting a lot of enjoyment from this weekly exercise, I think this would be a good opportunity for you to make a donation for the COtW project -- if you have not already done so -- in the memory of Richard Morris. Mark suggested the Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer, as his mother, brother, and two maternal uncles lost their lives to pancreatic cancer.

In light of Mark being a Red Sox fan as well, we ask that your prayers include a humble request that the hometown Stockings find their way again. That's from me.

I am hopeful that getting this one in mid-week pushes me back on track; I was adding a day or two each week before posting these and I might have even lapped and lost a week in their somewhere.


I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry mp3


Did you ever see a robin weep when leaves began to die?

6 comments:

Randy Reichardt said...

Bill and Paul: Wonderful stuff, thank you both. Very sorry to hear about Mark losing his father, and I hope this song has helped him deal with his immediate sorrow. It is such a beautiful gift to your friend and the memory of his father, Bill, and it's great to hear Paul outside of CWF, which is the only frame of reference I have for him so far.

I've been a supporter of CotW from Day One, and the enjoyment has been immeasurable and ongoing. I have donated previously to support what you are doing for us, and am happy to do so again in memory of your friend's father. It's such a small price to pay for the privilige of experiencing of such an embarrassment of musical riches.

Meanwhile, can we invoke Divine Intervention to help the Sox?

bubba said...

Another piece of sad news, now that you mentioned pancreatic cancer - great cool singer Willy DeVille has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Whirling House said...

Very cool version of a really, really sad lyric. I'll do what I can to support the family and your continuing CotW efforts.

drischord said...

Always great to hear new material from Paul. What is he up to these days? I loved Cold Water Flat.

And my heart goes out to your friend Mark.

bubba said...

I know it's a bit off-topic, but since you suggested donating money for battling pancreatic cancer ... fabulous rock'n'roller Willy DeVille has passed away from panreatic cancer:

http://pitchfork.com/news/36151-rip-willy-deville/

How about a cover of "Heaven Stood Still" ?

Earthdog70 said...

When will Paul's solo CD be out?